Apnar Kotha was started with the simple objective of creating a platform that informs, inspires and empowers people. We are a social content start-up that challenge ourselves on a daily basis to give you a refreshing take on content available to Bangladeshi audiences.
We share news articles, feature stories and videos that cover important communal topics that impact our daily life, from current affairs and social issues, local initiatives and interesting personalities, travel insights, the environment, news from the tech and start-up spheres, and more.
Our Code of Media Ethics
We at Apnar Kotha have a duty and the opportunity to seek and report the truth, promote discussion to strengthen our communities, and serve the public interest. We vigorously defend freedom of expression and freedom of the press. We return society’s trust by practicing our profession responsibly respecting our fellow-citizens’ rights.
WE WILL ALWAYS STRIVE FOR ACCURACY AND FAIRNESS
- We will never allow our prejudices to determine our reporting.
- In case there ever is any conflicts of interest, we will disclose it fully.
- We will always give people, companies or organizations that are criticized in our reporting, full possibility to display their points of view before publication.
- We respect people’s civil rights, including the rights to privacy and a fair trial.
- We will never alter photos, videos or sound in ways that will mislead.
WE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE TRANSPARENT
- We will never give favoured treatment to advertisers and other special interests.
- We don’t solicit or accept gifts of any form or favours of any kind from those we may report.
- We will never report about subjects where we have a financial interest.
- We don’t engage in campaigns and movements that we cover.
- Editorial boards and columnists or commentators may support political candidates or campaigns. Reporters do not.
- We ordinarily don’t conceal our identities. When, on limited occasions, a journalist needs to go “undercover” in the public interest, we will clearly explain the reasons why.
WE WILL ALWAYS KEEP OUR WORD
- We will identify origins of information, except when there is an absolute reason to preserve anonymity, in such cases we will explain reasons for granting such.
- We independently verify all facts given by any sources.
- If we pledge to shield a source’s identity, we will do so. Unless explicitly directed by a court of law.
WE VALUE DIVERSITY
- We seek to achieve in our accounts the various values, viewpoints and lives of the people in our societies.
- We will always avoid stereotypes of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, geography, sexual orientation, gender identification, disability, physical appearance and social status.
- We will never refer to a person’s race, colour or religion unless it is relevant.
WE ARE ALWAYS GOING TO BE ACCOUNTABLE
- We will respond to the public for our writing and administration.
- If and when we make a mistake, we correct it immediately and ungrudgingly, and in a manner befitting the seriousness of the error.