Two days after holding the party’s 20th council newly elected General Secretary Obaidul Quader declared a 22-men panel of the central working committee secretaries.
The party now has an eight-member divisional organising secretary body. Organising Secretaries Ahmed Hossain, Md Misbah Uddin Siraj, BM Mozammel Haque, AFM Bahauddin Nasim, Abu Sayeed Al Mahmud Swapan, Khalid Mahmud Chowdhury has been strengthened with two new associates, Enamul Haque Shamim and Barrister Mahbiul Hasan Chowdhury Nowfel.
Previously Enamul Haque Shamim Shamim served as a member of the central committee and Nowfel, who is the son of Chittagong metropolitan unit Awami League chief ABM Mohiuddin Chowdhury, has been inducted in the party’s central body for the first time.
Bir Bahadur, who was as an organizing secretary the previously, has been withdrawn.
The Awami League amended its charter during its National Council to increase the number of organizing secretaries from seven to eight.
Amongst the 19 secretaries, on Monday, Quader announced the name of 14 posts and six of them are new faces.
- Tipu Munshi will be replacing Planning Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal as the Finance Secretary.
- Sujit Roy Nandi replaces Faridunnahar Laily as the new Social Welfare Secretary.
- ABM Tajul Islam replaced as the Liberation War Affairs Secretary, by Mrinal Kanti Das.
- Nurul Islam Nahid, who is now a member of the party’s policymaking Presidium body will be replaced as the Education and Human Resource Affairs Secretary by Shamsunnahar Chapa.
- Asaduzzaman Noor will no longer the be Cultural Affairs Secretary, he is replaced by Asim Kumar Ukil.
- Rokeya Sultana is the new Health and Population Affairs Secretary replacing Rokeya Sultana.
Eight additional secretaries have been named for another three years term
- Abdul Matin Khasru as the Legal Affairs Secretary.
- Abdus Sobhan Golap as Office Secretary.
- Afzal Hossain who will be Information and Research Secretary.
- Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah as Religious Affairs Secretary.
- Hasan Mahmud as the Publicity Secretary.
- Fazilatunnesa Indira will be Women Affairs Secretary.
- Habibur Rahman Siraj will take over as Labour and Manpower Affairs Secretary.
- Abdus Sattar will be Commerce and Industries Secretary.
The names of three Presidium members are yet to be finalized, the party will hold a presidium meeting, which is Awami League’s highest policy-making body, at Gonobhaban on Friday with party President Sheikh Hasina in the chair.